Monday 4 April 2011

Edited version of original draft

Hi my name is Rebecca Randall, as a part of my personal research and of questioning of others the most common subjects were that of sunny holidays and toy crazes. I have decided to go down the Holiday route as I feel this will reach a wider audience.  As such I went down to Cornwall and took many snaps of the beach and the surrounding.  As I believe holiday pictures are deemed socially and artistically as aesthetically pleasing and additionally will be fitting with our aim in recreating the happy childhood memories we perceive we had as a child within our exhibition. Like Sarah and Hatty, I wanted to give a personal direction to the project, so I will be using in addition to the Cornwall photos snaps of my own childhood holidays. As when I recollect being a child, searching for wildlife through the rock pools, collecting shells, and making sand castles with my brother are vivid memories for me. I want to approach my project on the basis of it been light and a reflection of the happy memories we hold as though looking at through rose tinted glasses. One of the reasons for this positive outlook on childhood memories is because my solo project is on dark dreams.  So for me personally this is a balancing piece, a less heavy light hearted piece.
For the exhibition, I am still in the experimental stage on what I will present in the exhibition. I know I want to produce and installation piece however I am torn between a textile piece or a sculptural installation.  I have been inspired by an artist called Anita Pullan, who has used memories as the basis of her piece. She had used objects that she has personal attachment to her memories that she wants to visualize. She places them in slip-cast and press mould in porcelain and bone china. She then adds gold lustre to them therefore giving them economic value as a visual representation of their value in her memory of them. I love this concept and I would want to take this technique on and use the slip cast on such things as towels, bathing suits and picnics. As well as this I have been experimenting with casting moulds of sea shells and buckets. I have been experimenting already with Sarah in our Sculpture and Installation module with the cast moulds and slip casts using fabrics such as lace, calico and wool and I have been enjoying it immensely. However I am also drawn to producing a textile piece being a textile artist, especially when I found the artist Carole Kirk. She produces rudimentary childlike drawing, mono prints and sewing’s collected together in book form. This reminds me of both of children’s photo albums a mum would make. I have begun to experiment with my photos after being inspired by the photo album element of her work. I used editing software such as photoshop, were I manipulated and experimented on them seeing what effect and outcomes I can produce. These are a few of what I have produced so far.  I will continually experiment with both and till I feel drawn to a path to one or both but always ensuring that it will both compliment my fellow group members and satisfy what I want to portray in accordance to childhood memories.

1 comment:

  1. I thought your presentation went very well hun,you interacted with the audience and although you lost the place where you were reading from,it really didnt come across that way.
    you two were brilliant,well done!:-)

    ReplyDelete