Monday 14 March 2011

market research from facebook



(Brighton Pier...I used to stay here in my Nans caravan during the holidays :-) )

As Hatty came up with the amazing idea of asking through BB what different peoples thoughts are on what childhood is to them..i.e fave film,memories,holiday destination etc.. I asked my friends through Facebook and here are their responses(some people really opened up!):

Holland park feeding squirrels!

A dream I wished it never ended as life it self was a playground and it was like a dream.
childhood is the best gift from the god where we hav no fear n enjoy
every moment of life .
for me it is like eating lots of cookies n candy playing with frind every
time n getting toys n love
i wish i could live my childhood life again :D

Toys and lots of it. Specially cars.

so it means cartons like"Candy","Casimir" it was a french tv show with a sweet monster
friends...

Beauty and the beast - Tom & Jerry - Weymouth

evil doll on tv, carpets, two & three floored flat, contret walls, burgess park refered to as "trip to the seaside!", yapping alot but having to keep secrets, tales from the greatess storyteller in the world (Vincenzo Paese aka Pappa :P), fencing swords that were never to be touched - put oh so fun to secretly play with siblings :D, confusing teachers with italian and parents with english lol, snapping my fingers one day and knowing the intermediate workings of mathematical problem solving, ascociating loud noises/high vocals and raised voices indifferent to shouting, being afraid of the world, lacking social understanding, absent weekends, absent school days, monthly blood tests, bi-monthly gp visits, ever increasing obesiety, the start of mental illness and the loss of remaining childhood.......

Blissful and happy - a world without complications

First memory to come to mind is playing with my old dog in the garden/military base and causing chaos. Digging up my mums garden, and generally running around like a menace

i had a big family and a large group of cousins that i grew up with...our parents kinda just left us to do what we wanted nd i remember we were always in the garden digging up stuff and making potions by crushing up lots of flowers, playing 'it' and stuff like that.

I honestly relate to all subjects you mentioned, very hard to pick one. My five senses are very powerful on bringing me back in time. I would say all above.

Barefoot, shorts, trees and lots of sunshine!

Being small enough to be carried along a bit in strong winds when I jumped. Even if it wasn’t true, it FELT true!
So. Many. Cartoons. Transformers, The A Team, Knight Rider and Street Hawk, Spiderman, me crying when Superman lost his powers in Superman II.
Getting my knees ripped up playing in the adventure playground or on the particularly rough concrete in our school playground, and feeling proud! Picking scabs was a real favourite pastime of mine, That and throwing myself around, so that was convenient.
Refusing to eat … so many things – too bitter, too sour, too squelchy, too solid, too green, too brown or too purple. There was no such thing as too sweet.
Going through the whole sequence of: Girls OK, girls different, girls yucky (didn’t last long), girls confusing, girls the best thing ever in the world ever.
Panini stickers (got, got, got, need, need, got, need, got, got, got)
Living with a completely different visual perspective – everything is above you, the only things your height are other kids exactly your age or the various body parts of the adults around you (early on you’re thigh-height, then your surrounded by waists, then there are bellies everywhere etc)
You could just decide to be in a make-believe world for as long as you like. “Right, so, we’re on a pirate ship and here’s the steering wheel and I’m the captain Haha! You’re standing in the water! Now you’ve got to drown and I’ll save you.” (very matter-of-fact)
I often felt a bit intimidated with the “cool” kids, so my friendships were more one-to-one, which then grew into more one-to-ones and ended up as a group, rather than coming into a group and making everyone think “Wow, he’s so cool”, which is obviously what happens now ;o)
Walking in the park was a big memory, and whenever I did it I remember the overwhelming urge to run and jump and then run some more for no apparent reason, not really needing a reason, but going absolutely hell-for-leather until I couldn’t stand up anymore, preferably collapsing in a dramatic heap in the grass. Hopefully dog-poo free, but I could only hope as I wouldn’t check

This is a good one: being happy, creative and imaginative dressing up as Diana Ross and Whitney Houston. I loved sylvanian families the getalong gang, bananarama and tears for fears. But I remember feeling really, lost, helpless and sad. I felt lonely as a child even though I was constantly surrounded by people. From about 7 I felt very different to the other kids. I wasn't a normal child. I was a big thinker, very bright and sensitive. Loud and generally weird. Id make my own clothes and wear them to school. I was bullied but witty enough to retaliate. Nothings changed really. Now I make a career of it.

I think childhood was a confusing time. I wouldn't go back there apart from I'd like the sensation of being smaller than other people. I
Remember getting an achey arm from holding mums hand because I had to reach up.

Childhood to me is;

Playing in the kiddy section of the mall in Chiang Mai (Thailand),
Eating sticky rice with sweet mangoes,
Grandma's hand fed food always tasting better than eating from my own plate,
Sharing that glass of coke with my puppy love, James at the annual sports day,
Reading Goosebumps late into the night and always having to sleep with the night light on,
Catching fire flies with my sisters,
Getting bitten by that naughty little baby rabbit,
Camp outs in the backyard and always burning the marshmallows for my smoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment