Tuesday 3 May 2011

A work update

I did try pushing shells I collected into a roll of clay and then I proceeded to pour plaster into these mould's, however I found the shells produced were thin, fragile and therefore I deemed this method as anulled. I then came up with the idea that I should use a chocolate mould I found on Amazon. It provided more sturdier symmetric  shells. A generic shell is much more fitting with the concept I would like to proceed with as stated above. I thought i should add the reason I choose plaster as a medium as I enjoy its properties and its colour is appropriate for this assignment.

This is what they look like after they popped out of the mould, I am struggling to form perfect shell moulds without air bubbles forming.

This is how many I have produced so far, I think I may need to double the number, what do you think?

This is a closer version of the shells.

Should I scape the insides out of the shells or leave it solid?

Ok girls, I my need your imagination here, I will fill  a bucket with sand and these shells, like this very rough image of what it will look like and then have more shells on sand scatter around the bucket with a spade. It will be an installation piece representing the generic memory all people seem to hold when they think of beach childhood holidays. 



Do you like the concept?

2 comments:

  1. its a brilliant concept, the shells look beautiful and what great thinking with the chocolate tray idea!
    I would say hollow shells for some,if not for all just for accuracy sake but then again,it depends on your time so maybe just a few?
    If you double the amount you have in that picture i would imagine it would fill up the bucket nicely, something everyone has done as kid on the beach surely?
    Its strange seeing white,perfect shells as i am used to them being quite complicated with different colour and pattern/fragmented and chipped. i do understand why you are leaving them in their original,material form though.
    All you need now is the smell of salt and the sound of waves.
    Are you having a white shelf to present this installation?
    Brilliant stuff hun,looking forward to seeing it all together :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, with the perfection of the shell shape I went with this as my piece in essence is a generalisation of beach memories I wanted to go with a sterotypical shell shapes so all can recognised it and therefore connect with it.

    I will be making more and your right about time I may not be able to crave them all out especially as we both know who long craving into plaster takes!!:)

    I am really happy you liked it. x

    ReplyDelete