Sunday 15 May 2011

catch me up

throughout this blog i have been unable to comment on other posts for some reason my computer wont allow me to do so i have had nothing but problems,also never receive emails when new blogs r posted. Being unable to log in has been a big problem for me.
So here is a catch up of my work.

Upon deciding that i would use my memory of Cyprus and the feather darts i used to make as a child with my cousin i have been collecting feathers from my local farm(Hackney City Farm) in east London as mentioned previously an trimming the tip of the feathers shaft to load it with a tailors pin and some super glue to hold it in place.

originally i had planned to create my outlined or shadowed image of Cyprus onto a canvas into which i could pin in the feathers around the outline but on further thinking this through have decided to make my silotte of Cyprus my target that i stick my feather darts into,cork board would allow me to do this as drawing or painting directly onto the walls of the exhibition space would present me with difficulties as the feather darts are very delicate and can be broken easily.
A trip to my local art store proved negative when trying to acquire cork board so instead i opted for foam board as it is easily cut with a craft knife,next i printed off an outline of Cyprus sourced from google image as a standard jpeg i wanted to be able to print off a template to cut around to fit the A0 board but was unable to do so.Instead i traced the image on to assetate paper and set up a light in a dark room to project the image once this was completed i tidied up my projected sketch an trimmed around my lines with as craft knife which cut easily through the foam board.
I used a black gloss spray to cover both sides and the edges of the piece leaving outside to dry(the reason for choosing black gloss paint is that for me it represents the tar with which we used to adhere the pins to the feathers).
i then created a mini black, white and red dart board which i will place over the area where my Nans house is located ( central Cyprus -Lefkosa as the Turks call it).I will be pinning the darts into this area i used spray mount to adhere it to the main body as i find this product quick an effective.

1 comment:

  1. aahh i was wondering why the black colour for Cyprus!

    ReplyDelete